Boca Raton Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
Nursing homes play a crucial role in our healthcare system. Many seniors end up in a home when they need around-the-clock skilled nursing care. Unfortunately, some nursing homes in Boca Raton do not provide the care we have come to expect from such institutions. Instead of doing everything they can to enhance a resident’s wellbeing, staff is often overwhelmed and end up denying necessary care.
Please contact the Boca Raton nursing home abuse lawyers at Hersh Kirtman Injury Law today if you suspect a loved one is being neglected inside a nursing home and has suffered harm. Few homes will admit they are cutting corners, so it is in your best interest to hire a seasoned legal advocate who has your back.
Defining Nursing Home Neglect
Nursing homes have a duty to provide adequate care to their residents. Sadly, many fall short of this duty. Instead, they fail to provide the care, nutrition, and medical treatment we reasonably expect them to.
Neglect is so dangerous because vulnerable residents can suffer serious injuries—possibly fatal. Someone who is neglected can lose weight, become sick, and suffer infection. They might be attacked by other residents or simply left to deteriorate.
Neglect is different from abuse, which is intentional. Neglect tends to stem from carelessness or from understaffing. But neglect is just as serious as abuse and should be eliminated from Boca Raton’s nursing homes.
How Nursing Home Neglect Harms Residents
Neglect has the potential to cause devastating injuries:
- Neglected residents can wander away from the premises or into a different part of the nursing home where they can fall and be injured.
- Nursing homes can fail to restrain violent residents who attack other elderly residents.
- Inadequate staffing means that staff are overwhelmed with residents and overlook someone who might be denied food, hydration, or medical care.
- Neglected residents might not be turned enough, which leads to the formation of pressure ulcers.
- Poorly run nursing homes can facilitate the spread of COVID and other diseases by not enforcing or putting in place regulations.
- Neglected residents can withdraw emotionally due to lack of human interaction and suffer depression and illness.
Someone who is being neglected is not having their needs met. The Agency for Health Care Administration of Florida is tasked with regulating the nursing home industry in our state, but there are many complaints that Florida allows dangerous homes to continue in operation.
Signs of Neglect
Unfortunately, we cannot be with our loved ones 24 hours a day. Still, there are tell-tale signs that a nursing home is failing its residents:
- Pressure ulcers
- Unexplained weight loss
- Injuries without adequate explanation
- Unexplained trips to the hospital
- Unsanitary room conditions
- Lack of personal hygiene
- Few nurses or other attendants on site
- Overstressed nurses and other attendants
Most cases begin with at least a preliminary investigation. Sadly, many residents are unable to communicate effectively to tell us whether they are being neglected. Please reach out to one of our nursing home neglect attorneys to learn how we can help.
Call Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL Today
We offer a free consultation to anyone who is worried about their loved ones. Where appropriate, we can request that your loved one be transferred or file a legal claim for compensation.