Boca Raton Surgical Errors Attorney
Doctors do not lightly recommend that patients undergo surgery. Indeed, surgery is often the last option when other conservative treatments have failed to alleviate an illness or injury. Patients are understandably nervous about having surgery, but few really believe they will end up worse off when they are wheeled out of the operating room than when they went in.
According to one study, thousands of surgical errors are committed each year. Surgery is inherently risky, and sometimes injury is unavoidable. However, many surgical mistakes are entirely preventable if hospitals and surgical teams took necessary precautions.
If you believe a surgical error has harmed you, contact Hersh Kirtman Injury Law today. Our Boca Raton surgical error lawyers can review the facts of your case to advise you how we can help.
What are the Most Common Surgical Errors in Boca Raton, Florida?
Many things can go wrong, including:
- Wrong-site surgery. The surgeon might remove the wrong lung, for example, or the wrong breast. Not only does the patient lose healthy tissue or limbs, but they need a second surgery to address the reason why they were wheeled into the operating room in the first place.
- Wrong patient surgery. A surgeon will perform the wrong surgery on a patient, often due to a mix up of patient records.
- Leaving foreign bodies behind. A surgical team can neglect to remove sponges, clamps, or other implements when they sew up a patient.
- Infection. A surgical team could spread infection during surgery which becomes very difficult to treat.
- Nerve damage. Surgeons can damage healthy nerves when they perform surgery poorly. Some of this damage is permanent.
- Internal bleeding. Surgeons should be aware when they have nicked or cut an artery, and they should cauterize it before sewing up a patient. If not, a patient can suffer a lethal loss of blood pressure.
- Post-operative mistakes. A surgeon should follow up with a patient and address any complications in a prompt manner.
These mistakes have many causes: poor communication, overwork, drug or alcohol addiction, and unnecessary distraction. Of course, to injured patients, the cause is beside the point. If you need a Boca Raton surgical error lawyer, call us today for a free consultation to discuss your case further.
How Can a Boca Raton Surgical Errors Lawyer Help My Case?
Our Boca Raton surgical error attorney assists those who believe they were victimized by botched surgery. For one thing, few hospitals or surgeons will admit when something has gone wrong.
We attempt to find evidence that a surgeon or surgical team was negligent and caused your injuries. This is a difficult claim to bring in Florida, which has passed many laws to protect the medical community from lawsuits. Victims must meet certain deadlines and support their case with expert medical testimony before being able to even file a lawsuit. Let us help you.
Were You Injured in an Operating Room? Call Our Boca Raton Surgical Errors Attorney for Help
A medical malpractice claim should seek to provide necessary compensation to victims. These claims are also necessary for forcing doctors and hospitals to do better by patients. To schedule a meeting with our Boca Raton medical malpractice attorney, call us at 561-208-3700 or contact us here today.