Boca Raton Birth Injuries Lawyer
Birth injuries are the most tragic. Birth should be a joyous event for everyone involved. When accidents and negligence cause a birth injury, it is scary and traumatic, leaving the health and wellbeing of the newborn in the balance. The devastation that may result in unimaginable.
If you suspect your child or a loved one has suffered a birth injury, contact Hersh Kirtman Injury Law today. Our Boca Raton attorneys can review your case and help determine if you have a claim to hold the responsible providers accountable.
Common Birth Injuries for Babies
Children are very vulnerable during delivery. The transition from the womb to the greater world is full of risks and complications. Fortunately, competent medical professionals should spot problems and deploy proven solutions. Sadly, some doctors and hospitals are negligent.
We have helped families whose child has suffered from:
- Fracture. A baby can suffer a broken bone during a rough delivery. Clavicle fractures are common when a baby is born breech and a doctor tugs on the child aggressively.
- Forceps injury. Rough use of the forceps can cause bruising on a child and possibly nerve damage.
- Brachial plexus injury. Nerves in the shoulder and arm can be injured during delivery, causing weakness and pain in the child’s arms and hands.
- Epilepsy. A child can develop seizures due to trauma or infection suffered during labor.
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. Deprivation of oxygen or blood can lead to brain damage, which requires an immediate response to halt the progression.
- Facial paralysis. A child’s facial nerves can be damaged during delivery, which can result in paralysis.
- Caput succedaneum. A child can suffer swelling under the scalp due to trauma during delivery.
Some injuries, such as most fractures, should heal if treated properly. Other injuries, including brain injuries due to oxygen deprivation, could result in a lifetime of learning disabilities.
Birth Injuries to Mothers
Babies are not the only ones who can be injured. Indeed, the CDC reported that in 2020 861 women died due to maternal causes, and thousands more were injured. Often, doctors fail to treat rising blood pressure, or they end up nicking a vein or artery during delivery which causes uncontrolled bleeding which goes undiagnosed by the doctor until the mother’s blood pressure drops to a dangerously low level.
These injuries can be fatal. Even if a mother survives, she might need to undergo additional emergency surgery to treat conditions, or she could suffer a stroke or heart attack.
Call Us for Assistance
Birth injuries have many causes, including poor training, understaffing, and overcrowding of hospitals.
To bring a malpractice claim for a birth injury, you need a legal team with proven results. Hersh Kirtman Injury Law can step in and gather all necessary evidence to determine if you have a valid claim. We can also file a lawsuit, if necessary, to get the compensation you need. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.