Ms. Kane’s practice focuses on serious personal injury, malpractice, death, sexual abuse, and general litigation. She has extensive experience handling claims of medical and nursing home malpractice, sexual abuse and misconduct, premises liability, motor vehicle accidents, wrongful death, and/or other complex matters. For decades, Ms. Kane has been involved in church law matters and/or claims against churches, their employees and individuals, including sexual misconduct or abuse. She also supervises and/or consults on domestic/family law matters in the law firm. She has tried numerous jury trials, handled multiple appeals, participated in numerous binding and non-binding arbitrations and/or mediations, and conducted settlement negotiations in high exposure cases. She handles cases in the state and federal courts throughout Maryland, District of Columbia, and Virginia.
- Washington, D.C., June 5, 1958
- Maryland, 1991
- Virginia and District of Columbia, 1992
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®.
- Maryland Super Lawyers 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- President's Award, Prince George's County Bar Association, 1996
- J.D., University of Maryland, 1991
- B.A., University of Maryland, law enforcement, 1980
- Virginia State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Attorney Grievance Commission, 2001–2003
- Women's Bar Association
- Judicial Selections Committee, 2000–2002
- Prince George's County Bar Association
- Board of directors, 1995–1998
- Women Lawyers Caucus
- Vice president, 1992
- American Inns of Court, Marlborough Chapter
- Treasurer, 1995–2002
- National Association of Professional Women
In the news
- News 4's Pat Collins interviews Deborah Kane regarding the Arlington story "Boys Protect Mother From Metal Baseball Bat Attack"
Recent Hartel Kane verdicts and settlements
- Six figure settlement for mother's claim for death of her baby shortly after birth.
- Six figure settlement for sexual abuse claim of a minor by a minister.
- Six figure settlement for a boating accident that resulted in death
- Settlement and trial verdicts in multiple motor vehicle and other accidents totaling more than one million dollars.